Thursday, January 12, 2006

Not AGAIN!

I thought after that last awful week we had in the opera world at the end of November 2005 (Cheryl Studer's heart attack, the death of James King, the murder of Deon van der Walt by his own father), there would be an end to tragedy for a while. Unfortunately, we're having a second week of tragedy. Birgit Nilsson died yesterday, and my beloved Roberto Alagna is apparently very sick with some kind of severe hypoglycemia (and I can only hope that's not a symptom of something worse!) and is forced to cancel all his performances through at least January and February and possibly March as well. Not surprisingly, to be with him, his wife Angela Gheorghiu cancelled her concert in Dresden tomorrow, and may have cancelled her appearance with the Philadelphia Orchestra the Met Traviatas as well. Not that I can really blame her. But I've been waiting 10 years to see her Violetta!

Baruch dayan emet. And may G-d send Roberto a refuah shleimah.

Further comments to follow. I just hope that superstition isn't true about bad things happening in threes...

No comments: